Monday, September 6, 2010

Savina's Fairyland Party

I told you it was going to be a great party. Saul and Lori never disappoint.

The place was beautiful (Lori always does such a great job of decorating).

The food was delicious (Saul always does a great job of ordering).

The atmosphere was fun and light (We like to party).

Here is the celebrated fairy. Isn't she gorgeous?

Some of the decorations made by Lori.






My cousin, Lorena made the fairy dust.




At the party, many fairies, big and small, were spotted:

Alec. Have you ever seen such a happy fairy?

Joaquin. Such a perfect fairy.

Sophia, the fairy of daydreams.

Valentina and Savina earn their wings.

A fairy's job is never done. Three little fairies take a rest.

One of the fairy godmothers (Lorena).


The fairy family (Saul, Paulo, Savi, and Lori).
Fairies are really hard to catch. These are some that we were able to round up.

You know it was a good party when some of the furniture ends in the pool! Even if it is a toy.


Here is the gift I made for Savi. It is a fairyland terrarium. I also made a little bag to hold her tools and instructions that she will need to keep her terrarium looking beautiful.



The terrarium also has a light on the top that you can use as a night light. When it is on, it looks like the moon in beaming down on the garden. Unfortunately, I do not have a good picture of that effect to show you.





A wee fairy house that I painted on a tiny gourd.



Making this terrarium was so much fun. Here are some pictures that document the creation of this project.

I gathered materials from several sources: The flower mart, Blue Hills Nursery, Michaels, etc.
I found these wonderful tiny gourds and nut shells at the LA Flower Mart. I'll have to go back and get more.

I painted the top of the jar so that when the moss is glued on it, there will not be any "bald" spots.
My little helpers, Nico and Luc.
Painting the house on this tiny gourd was so much fun.
It is very important to add a layer of gravel to terrariums for good water drainage.
Another essential material for terrariums is carbon bark. It is not easy to find. I got premium organic charcoal at Blue Hills nursery. It is important to have this in your terrariums because it will eliminate orders and will keep the soil fresh. Be careful because it cannot be substituted with any other charcoal.


I found this beautiful brooch and buttons at Michael's. I love them!
I had a really difficult time finding the perfect fairy. All of the ones I cam across were scary looking. Finally, I found this one that the LA Flower Mart. She's perfect.
I think I have a new hobby. Building terrariums. Mateo wants me to make him one of a war scene, of course. We'll have to see.

I promised Savi, Paulina and Valentina that I would also make them little name tags like the one I made for Viviana that they can use when they play grocery checker or concession stand worker.




Happy Labor Day!

SC
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. you need to have a workshop on how to make the terrarium. i would be there! it turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you, Jennifer. I was quite happy with the way it turned it out. It actually looks much prettier in person, especially in the dark when you turn on the light. People at the party suggested that I sell them. I'm thinking about it. Love!

    ReplyDelete